Pre and Post HIV Test Counselling Guide: Aboriginal Community and Health Care Professionals
HIV pre-test and post-test discussions for Aboriginal community health care professionals and representatives. In the Aboriginal community counselling before and after being tested for HIV is a great opportunity to share important health information that can save lives.
By using this guide community health care professionals may improve client service skills by:
- Understanding informed consent and its implications.
- Have a good understanding of the diagnosis of HIV and the implications to the client.
- Understand the implications of a possible disclosure of a positive result.
- Understanding the importance of pre and post HIV test counselling.
- Knowing how to give both negative and positive results.
- Have an understanding of anxiety, depression and suicide.