CAAN added the Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) to its mandate in 2012 and HAS:
1.Informed the creation of a National Hepatitis C Blueprint in partnership with the CanHepC – Canadian Network on Hepatitis C
2. Created two fact sheets that will assist in the diagnosis, treatment and care for Indigenous people living with or with lived experience of HCV. ( LINK TO CAAN WEBSITE RESOURCES)
In recognition of World Hepatitis Awareness Day 2021, CAAN has made four commitments
- Work towards eliminating HCV in Canada by 2030, with an Indigenous focus;
- Using an Indigenous worldview that centres ceremony and culture in all of our work.
- Operationalize an Indigenous approach to the HCV journey from diagnosis to treatment in a wholistic manner through programming that is informed by HCV-targeted research.
- Continue to demonstrate Indigenous leadership and prioritize Indigenous ways of knowing and doing.